Saturday, November 1, 2008

You know this has happened to you:

You are walking along, minding your own business. You might be admiring the scenery, thinking about your day, or perhaps dancing along a street. You may even be fussing with a cell phone, purse or diaper bag, your attention on anywhere but your feet- when out of the blue.... you falter....you stumble.....you trip.....you crash into a wall that just appeared out of nowhere. The world becomes a sea of spinning, slow motion rainbows as gravity does what it will do. As you plunge toward the ground- you think, frantically, "Don't fall, catch yourself!" Your arms may flail, your eyes bulge, and you may utter a slight scream or some profane words. As you come to your senses once the ground has caught you, you know what your first thought is- no, not "Am I injured?", but "Who just saw this pathetic fall?"

I would venture a guess that everyone reading this has had a "falling" experience. Here is one of my most recent ones:

I was right on time for my ballet class at the Y. I had my purse (weighing 15 pounds), my dance bag (unknown weight, but seriously heavy), and my clipboard. The dance room was dark, and I was noticing that there were several yoga mats and blocks scattered all over the floor, which irritated me, since that meant I had to pick them up before my class, and that some kids had been playing unsupervised in the dance room.... and then, my flip-flop slipped on some unseen overturned spray bottle spillage, and......I crashed onto the floor, flat on my back. I immediately looked toward the window of the dance room, thinking, "Could that have been any lamer- the dance teacher, supposed to be graceful, slipping and falling in the dance room? Did anyone see me?"

Well, fortunately for me, I landed where no one saw me- and Salina graciously helped me mop up the floor before the class- and assured me that I wasn't seen. (Thanks girl!). Anyway-just thought I'd share a slightly embarrassing experience, hoping that you'd share too- don't be shy, leave a comment about a "falling" of yours!

2 comments:

Peg said...

I'm reminded of the time I fell backwards over the hedge and landed on my butt in the driveway. My first thought was if any of the neighbors saw me. I successfully put it out of my mind that it had happened until my hip started hurting me so bad I could hardly walk.

Mimi said...

HA!! love it! We'll just call you grace from now on ;-)

When I was in HS- our dance team was getting up to go get ready do the half time show... I was talking to someone and was 100 yards behind all the girls when I wen to catch up. The cheerleaders were performing and fell FLAT on my face... in front of EVERYONE...right in center court nope still not over it ;-) Good times!! Glad that no one saw- even though they probably could of used the laugh.